Gesner History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Gesner lie in the region of Bavaria. The name is derived from the German word "Gasse," meaning "street, alley," and denotes someone who lives either on the main road of the village or in an alley.
Early Origins of the Gesner family
The surname Gesner was first found in Bavaria, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. One of the earliest known bearers of the name was Arnold in der gassen, who was a citizen of Ober-Alpfen in 1266.
Important Dates for the Gesner family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gesner research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1623, 1825, 1866, 1516, 1565, 1691, 1761, 1730, 1788 and 1838 are included under the topic Early Gesner History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gesner Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gasser, Gassier, Gässler, Gassner, Gassur, Gaster, Gesser, Gesner, Gauser, Gausser, Casser, Kasser, Kausser, Kauser, Gassaway, Gasse, Gass, Gess, Gässer, Gässner and many more.
Early Notables of the Gesner family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gesner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gesner migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gesner Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Henry Gesner U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gesner (post 1700)
- Alonzo Gesner (1842-1912), American land surveyor, Indian agent, and politician, Oregon State Senator (1895-1898)
- N. A. Gesner, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 15th District, 1873 
- Abraham Pineo Gesner (1797-1864), Canadian physician, geologist and inventor of kerosene
- Max Gesner Beauvoir (1936-2015), Haitian biochemist and houngan (priest in Haitian Vodou)
- Gesner Armand (1936-2008), Haitian painter from Croix-des-Bouquets
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html