Gerke History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Gerke family
The surname Gerke was first found in Hamburg, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation which would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. In later years the name branched into many houses, each playing a significant role in the local social and political affairs. The name is also connected to several place names in the Holstein region.
Early History of the Gerke family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gerke research. Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1566, 1590, 1610, 1770, and 1844 are included under the topic Early Gerke History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gerke Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gehra, Gehren, Gehring, Gera, Geradon, Geradts and many more.
Early Notables of the Gerke family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gerke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Gerke is the 13,782nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Gerke migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gerke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Gerke, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Maria Gertrud Gerke, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- John P Gerke, aged 27, who landed in Missouri in 1839 
- William Gerke, aged 30, who arrived in Missouri in 1842 
- Maria Elisabeth Gerke, aged 66, who arrived in America in 1843 
Gerke migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Gerke Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Wilhelm Ottomar Gerke, aged 28, who arrived in South Australia in 1847 aboard the ship "Hermann von Beckerath" 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gerke (post 1700) +
- Friedrich Clemens Gerke (1801-1888), German writer, journalist, musician and pioneer of telegraphy, he revised the Morse code in 1848 to the standard used today
- Jack Gerke DSO, AM (1916-2005), Australian Second World War and Korean War veteran, recipient of the Distinguished Service Order for bravery
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) HERMANN VON BECKERATH 1847. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1847HermanVonBeckerath.htm