on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Gerke family come from? What is the German Gerke family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gerke family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gerke family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gehra, Gehren, Gehring, Gera, Geradon, Geradts and many more.
First found in Hamburg, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation which would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. In later years the name branched into many houses, each playing a significant role in the local social and political affairs. The name is also connected to several place names in the Holstein region.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gerke research. Another 170 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1566, 1590, 1610, 1770, and 1844 are included under the topic Early Gerke History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gerke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gerke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Gerke, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Maria Gertrud Gerke, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- John P Gerke, aged 27, landed in Missouri in 1839
- William Gerke, aged 30, arrived in Missouri in 1842
- Maria Elisabeth Gerke, aged 66, arrived in America in 1843
Gerke Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Wilhelm Ottomar Gerke, aged 28, arrived in South Australia in 1847 aboard the ship "Hermann von Beckerath"
- Friedrich Clemens Gerke (1801-1888), German writer, journalist, musician and pioneer of telegraphy, he revised the Morse code in 1848 to the standard used today
- Jack Gerke DSO, AM (b. 1916), Australian Second World War and Korean War veteran, recipient of the Distinguished Service Order for bravery
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
The Gerke Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gerke Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 August 2015 at 06:47.
on orders of $85 or more