Gerding History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The historic kingdom of Bohemia, enclosed by mountains and the celebrated Bohemian forest, is the noble birthplace of the name Gerding.German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire. Fairly general principles guided the development of hereditary surnames in Bohemia. Two of the common types of family names found in the Prussia are patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The surname Gerding derived from the Old German personal name Gerhard, which means spear-brave.
Early Origins of the Gerding family
The surname Gerding was first found in Bohemia, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Gerding family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gerding research. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1629, 1582, 1637, 1698, 1765, 1726, 1736, 1607 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Gerding History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gerding Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gerhardt, Gearhart, Gearhardt, Gerhart, Gearhard, Gerhard, Gerheart, Gearheart, Gerard and many more.
Early Notables of the Gerding family (pre 1700)
During this early period, notable bearers of the name Gerding included Johann Gerhard (1582-1637), the most famous Lutheran theologian of the time; Daniel Gerdes (1698-1765), German Calvinist theologian and historian...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gerding Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gerding migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gerding Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henrich Gerding, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1772 
Gerding Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Gerding, who landed in North America in 1832 
- F W Gerding, who arrived in North America in 1832 
- Franz Gerding, who arrived in North America in 1832 
- George F Gerding, who landed in North America in 1832 
- John W Gerding, who landed in North America in 1832 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gerding (post 1700) +
- Thomas Gerding (b. 1978), American former sprinter in the 2001 Summer Universiade Champions, Men's 4 × 400 metres relay
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)