Gerdes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The historic kingdom of Bohemia, enclosed by mountains and the celebrated Bohemian forest, is the noble birthplace of the name Gerdes.German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire. Fairly general principles guided the development of hereditary surnames in Bohemia. Two of the common types of family names found in the Prussia are patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The surname Gerdes derived from the Old German personal name Gerhard, which means spear-brave.
Early Origins of the Gerdes family
The surname Gerdes was first found in Bohemia, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Gerdes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gerdes research. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1629, 1582, 1637, 1698, 1765, 1726, 1736, 1607 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Gerdes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gerdes Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gerhardt, Gearhart, Gearhardt, Gerhart, Gearhard, Gerhard, Gerheart, Gearheart, Gerard and many more.
Early Notables of the Gerdes family (pre 1700)
During this early period, notable bearers of the name Gerdes included Johann Gerhard (1582-1637), the most famous Lutheran theologian of the time; Daniel Gerdes (1698-1765), German Calvinist theologian and historian...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gerdes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Gerdes is the 6,037th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Gerdes migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gerdes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ludw Gerdes, who landed in North America in 1832 
- Ferdinand H Gerdes, who landed in America in 1836 
- A M Gerdes, who arrived in America in 1849 
- Bernard Gerdes, aged 50, who landed in Missouri in 1849 
- Died Gerdes, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1850 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gerdes (post 1700) +
- Eckhard Gerdes (b. 1959), American novelist and editor
- Bernd Gerdes (b. 1989), German footballer
- Ludger Gerdes (1954-2008), German painter, sculptor and multimedia artist
- Otto Gerdes (1920-1989), German Grammy Award winning conductor and record producer
- Alfred Gerdes (1916-1962), German silver medalist field hockey player at the 1936 Summer Olympics
Historic Events for the Gerdes family +
Arrow Air Flight 1285
- Mr. Scott W Gerdes (b. 1965), American Private 1st Class from Pittsville, Massachusetts, USA who died in the crash 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ American War Memorials - Flight 1285. (Retrieved 2016, August 24) . Retrieved from http://www.uswarmemorials.org/html/monument_details.php?SiteID=317&MemID=550