on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Gehrke family come from? What is the German Gehrke family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gehrke family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gehrke family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gehra, Gehren, Gehring, Gera, Geradon, Geradts and many more.
First found in Hamburg, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation which would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. In later years the name branched into many houses, each playing a significant role in the local social and political affairs. The name is also connected to several place names in the Holstein region.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gehrke research. Another 170 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1566, 1590, 1610, 1770, and 1844 are included under the topic Early Gehrke History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gehrke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gehrke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Heinrich Gehrke, who arrived in Texas in 1840
- Antonette Gehrke, who came to Galveston, TX in 1845
- Antonette Gehrke, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- August Gehrke, aged 15, arrived in New York in 1862
- C Gehrke, aged 50, landed in New York in 1862
- Charles W. Gehrke (1917-2009), American chemist, researcher and business entrepreneur
- Steve Gehrke (b. 1972), award-winning American poet
- Erwin Gehrke (1898-1966), American professional football fullback, halfback, and quarterback in the first American Football League
- Johannes Gehrke, American professor of computer science at Cornell University
- Chris Gehrke (1966-1991), American race driver on the Automobile Racing Club of America (ARCA) circuit
- Fred Gehrke (1918-2002), American National Football League running back
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
The Gehrke Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gehrke Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 May 2015 at 11:32.
on orders of $85 or more