on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Gehrke family come from? What is the German Gehrke family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gehrke family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gehrke family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gehra, Gehren, Gehring, Gera, Geradon, Geradts and many more.
First found in Hamburg, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation which would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. In later years the name branched into many houses, each playing a significant role in the local social and political affairs. The name is also connected to several place names in the Holstein region.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gehrke research. Another 170 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1566, 1590, 1610, 1770, and 1844 are included under the topic Early Gehrke History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gehrke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gehrke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Heinrich Gehrke, who arrived in Texas in 1840
- Antonette Gehrke, who came to Galveston, TX in 1845
- Antonette Gehrke, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- August Gehrke, aged 15, arrived in New York in 1862
- C Gehrke, aged 50, landed in New York in 1862
- Fred Gehrke (1918-2002), American National Football League running back
- Chris Gehrke (1966-1991), American race driver on the Automobile Racing Club of America (ARCA) circuit
- Johannes Gehrke, American professor of computer science at Cornell University
- Erwin Gehrke (1898-1966), American professional football fullback, halfback, and quarterback in the first American Football League
- Steve Gehrke (b. 1972), award-winning American poet
- Charles W. Gehrke (1917-2009), American chemist, researcher and business entrepreneur
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
The Gehrke Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gehrke Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 January 2015 at 06:38.
on orders of $85 or more