100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The historic kingdom of Bohemia, enclosed by mountains and the celebrated Bohemian forest, is the noble birthplace of the name Gearhart.German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire
. Fairly general principles guided the development of hereditary surnames
in Bohemia. Two of the common types of family names found in the Prussia
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The surname Gearhart derived from the Old German personal name Gerhard, which means spear-brave.
The surname Gearhart was first found in Bohemia, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gerhardt, Gearhart, Gearhardt, Gerhart, Gearhard, Gerhard, Gerheart, Gearheart, Gerard and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gearhart research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1629, 1582, 1637, 1698, 1765, 1726, 1736, 1607 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Gearhart History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 97 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gearhart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gearhart Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leonard Gearhart, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1832
- Jacob Gearhart, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- Ch. Gearhart, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Gearhart Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lillian Gearhart, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1903
- Grace S. Gearhart, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1904
- James K. Gearhart, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1904
- George Gearhart, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1907
- May Gearhart, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Peter Gearhart, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Clearfield County, 1907-08
- Nick Gearhart, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 8th District, 1976, 1978
- J. H. Gearhart, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Mississippi, 1948 (alternate), 1952
- Frederick K. Gearhart, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1924
- Cathryn W. Gearhart, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1936
- Bonham R. Gearhart, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1888
- Bertrand Wesley Gearhart (1890-1955), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from California 9th District, 1935-49; defeated, 1948
- Lloyd William "Gary" Gearhart (1923-2001), American Major League Baseball outfielder for the New York Giants in 1947
- G. David Gearhart (b. 1952), American academic, 5th Chancellor of the University of Arkansas (2008-)
- Sally Miller Gearhart (b. 1931), American teacher, feminist, science fiction writer, and political activist
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
The Gearhart Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gearhart Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2015 at 22:10.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!