Gearhart History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The historic kingdom of Bohemia, enclosed by mountains and the celebrated Bohemian forest, is the noble birthplace of the name Gearhart.German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire. Fairly general principles guided the development of hereditary surnames in Bohemia. Two of the common types of family names found in the Prussia are patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The surname Gearhart derived from the Old German personal name Gerhard, which means spear-brave.
Early Origins of the Gearhart family
The surname Gearhart was first found in Bohemia, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Gearhart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gearhart research. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1629, 1582, 1637, 1698, 1765, 1726, 1736, 1607 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Gearhart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gearhart Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gerhardt, Gearhart, Gearhardt, Gerhart, Gearhard, Gerhard, Gerheart, Gearheart, Gerard and many more.
Early Notables of the Gearhart family (pre 1700)
During this early period, notable bearers of the name Gearhart included Johann Gerhard (1582-1637), the most famous Lutheran theologian of the time; Daniel Gerdes (1698-1765), German Calvinist theologian and historian...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gearhart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Gearhart is the 4,779th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Gearhart migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gearhart Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leonard Gearhart, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1832 
- Jacob Gearhart, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1838 
- Ch. Gearhart, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
Gearhart Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lillian Gearhart, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1903
- Grace S. Gearhart, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1904
- James K. Gearhart, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States, in 1904
- George Gearhart, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1907
- May Gearhart, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gearhart (post 1700) +
- Lloyd William "Gary" Gearhart (1923-2001), American Major League Baseball outfielder for the New York Giants in 1947
- G. David Gearhart (b. 1952), American academic, 5th Chancellor of the University of Arkansas (2008-)
- Sally Miller Gearhart (b. 1931), American teacher, feminist, science fiction writer, and political activist
- Bertrand Wesley "Bud" Gearhart (1890-1955), American lawyer and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California (1935-1949)
- Devon Gearhart (b. 1995), American teen actor
- Nick Gearhart, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 8th District, 1976, 1978 
- J. H. Gearhart, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Mississippi, 1948 (alternate), 1952 
- Frederick K. Gearhart, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1924 
- Cathryn W. Gearhart, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1936 
- Bonham R. Gearhart, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1888 
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html