Garmendia History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Garmendia surname is thought to be derived from the Basque words "gar" meaning "flames, volcano" or "gara," meaning "ferns," along with "mendia" which signifies "forest."
Early Origins of the Garmendia family
The surname Garmendia was first found in De Amézqueta, Abalcisqueta in Tolosa, Guipúzcoa. Another family of the name, lived in the parish of San Sebastian, in the valley of Oyarzun.
Early History of the Garmendia family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Garmendia research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1825, 1876, 1881, and 1884 are included under the topic Early Garmendia History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Garmendia Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Garmendia, Garmindia and others.
Early Notables of the Garmendia family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Garmendia Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Garmendia migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Garmendia Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ignacio Garmendia, aged 32, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Garmendia (post 1700) ||+|
- Joseba Garmendia (b. 1985), Spanish footballer
- Alejandro Garmendia (b. 1959), Spanish artist
- Tatiana Garmendia, Cuban artist, teacher at Seattle Central Community College (1993-)
- Mikel Garmendia (1945-2005), actor
- Francisco Mujika "Pakito" Garmendia, military leader of the Basque nationalist paramilitary ETA
- Salvador Garmendia (1928-2001), Venezuelan author
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)