on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English-Alt, English
Where did the English Garlington family come from? What is the English Garlington family crest and coat of arms? When did the Garlington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Garlington family history?The Garlington surname is thought to be a habitational name taken on from a now lost or unidentified place name in England.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Girling, Girlyn, Girlington, Gerlinston, Garlington, Gerling, Gerlin, Girlin, Gerlyn, Gerlinge, Gylinge and many more.
First found in Norfolk where they were they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1296 when William Girlyn held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Garlington research. Another 322 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1177, 1455, 1487, and 1642 are included under the topic Early Garlington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Garlington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Garlington Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Xtoper Garlington, who arrived in Virginia in 1649
Garlington Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest Albert Garlington, aged 54, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Albert C. Garlington, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Creeswell Garlington, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1914
- John C. Garlington, aged 10, who landed in America, in 1914
- Ann Leslie "Lee" Garlington (b. 1953), American actress
- Ernest Albert Garlington (1853-1934), United States Army general who received the Medal of Honor during the Indian Wars
- John M Garlington (1946-2000), American professional (NFL) football linebacker
- Brigadier-General Creswell Garlington (1887-1945), American Attached to Headquarters 7th Service Command (1944-1945)
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Garlington Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Garlington Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 November 2012 at 09:25.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more