on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Jewish
Where did the German Garber family come from? What is the German Garber family crest and coat of arms? When did the Garber family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Garber family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Garbe, Garber, Garbers, Garbes, Garberer, Gharb, Gharber, Garbee, Garp, Garpe and many more.
First found in Austria, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Garb became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Garber research. Another 255 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1715 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Garber History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Garber Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Garber Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Garber and Hans Garber came to Philadelphia in 1736 and 1737 respectively
- Hans Garber, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Hans, Garber Jr., who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737
- John Adam Garber, aged 20, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Michael Garber, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1744
Garber Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Garber, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Barard Garber, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1863
- Abraham Garber, aged 52, who emigrated to America, in 1896
Garber Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ada Garber, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1903
- Abram Garber, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1904
- A. Henrich Garber, aged 51, who landed in America, in 1922
- Paul Edward Garber (1899-1992), the first head of the National Air Museum of the Smithsonian Institution
- Bette Garber (1942-2008), American photojournalist
- Daniel Garber (1880-1958), American Impressionist painter
- Frederick W. Garber (1877-1950), American architect
- Gene Garber (b. 1947), American baseball pitcher
- Harvey C. Garber (1866-1938), U.S. Representative from Ohio
- Helen K. Garber (b. 1954), American photographer
- Terri Garber (b. 1960), American actress
- Calvin Samuels Garber (b. 1924), American chemist
- Charles Allen Garber (b. 1941), American research company executive
- Ancestors of Jacob & Esther Garber and Their Descendants by Dean K. Garber.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
The Garber Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Garber Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 January 2014 at 12:36.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more