Gar History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Gar family
The surname Gar was first found in East Prussia, where the name Garn came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
Important Dates for the Gar family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gar research. Another 68 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1786 is included under the topic Early Gar History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gar Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Garn, Garner, Garnerin, Garin, Garene, Karen, Gern, Geirn, Giern, Geren, Garn, Gerner, Gar, Garnen and many more.
Early Notables of the Gar family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gar Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gar migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gar Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andw S. Gar, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1822
- Nicholas Gar, who landed in Missouri in 1840 
- A Gar, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gar (post 1700)
- Gar Samuelson (1958-1999), American drummer for the band Megadeth
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)