Gantz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Gantz is derived from the Middle High German word "ganser," which means "gander." Generally it came was a name for people, whose occupation involved raising geese.
Early Origins of the Gantz family
The surname Gantz was first found in Brunswick, where the name is considered to have made a great contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone early development in Europe. The name became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile. The family name also spread to Thuringia and to East Prussia.
Important Dates for the Gantz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gantz research. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1797 and 1839 are included under the topic Early Gantz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gantz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gans, Ganss, Ganse, Gansse, Ganz, Ganze, Gantz and many more.
Early Notables of the Gantz family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gantz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gantz migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gantz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Gantz, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709 
- John Gantz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1762 
- Johann Georg Gantz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1764 
- Friederich Gantz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1774 
Contemporary Notables of the name Gantz (post 1700)
- Martin Kissinger Gantz (1862-1916), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio
- Timothy Nolan Gantz (1945-2004), American classical scholar
- Roger Gantz, American soccer midfielder
- Dave Gantz (1922-2007), American artist and sculptor
- Pearl Gantz, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nebraska, 1936 
- Martin Kissinger Gantz (1862-1916), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Troy, Ohio, 1889; U.S. Representative from Ohio 4th District, 1891-93; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1908 
- F. U. Gantz, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Lancaster County, 1879-80 
- Benjamin Gantz, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Circuit Judge in Michigan 3rd Circuit, 1935 
- Gerda Gantz (1915-1936), Romanian fencer at the 1936 Summer Olympics
- Rav Aluf Binyamin "Benny" Gantz (b. 1959), current Chief of General Staff of the Israel Defense Forces
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html