Galarza History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Galarza, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Galarza, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Galarza is a habitation name, which is a type of local surname that is derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. As a general rule, the greater the distance between an individual and their homeland, the larger the territory they were named after. For example, a person who only moved to another parish would be known by the name of their original village, while people who migrated to a different country were often known by the name of a region or country from which they came.
Early Origins of the Galarza family
The surname Galarza was first found in Galicia, in the northwestern region of the Iberian peninsula.
Important Dates for the Galarza family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Galarza research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1274, 1440, 1507, 1563, 1619, 1617 and 1618 are included under the topic Early Galarza History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Galarza Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gallego, Gallegos and others.
Early Notables of the Galarza family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family Fernando Gallego (c.1440-1507), a Spanish painter, his art is generally regarded as Hispano- Flemish in style, who decorated many churches in the regions of Leon and Extremadura...
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Galarza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Galarza migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Galarza Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Galarza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Obdulio Galarza, aged 19, originally from Villafranca, Spain, who arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Montevideo" from Barcelona 
- Martin Galarza, aged 29, who arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "San Jacinto" from Havana American Gulf Ports 
Contemporary Notables of the name Galarza (post 1700)
- Ernesto Galarza (1905-1984), Mexican-American labor activist, professor, poet and writer
- Nydia Estrada Galarza, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 1996 
- Sergio Daniel Galarza Soliz (b. 1975), Bolivian football goalkeeper
- Mariano Galarza (b. 1986), Argentine rugby union player
- Marcos Adrián Galarza (b. 1984), Argentine football defender
You May Also Like
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J676-8J7 : 6 December 2014), Obdulio Galarza, 14 Nov 1919; citing departure port Barcelona, arrival port New York, ship name Montevideo, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6W1-WQ3 : 6 December 2014), Martin Galarza, 11 Aug 1919; citing departure port Havana American Gulf Ports, arrival port New York, ship name San Jacinto, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html