Freitas History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Portuguese surname Freitas is of local origin; that is, it was derived from the name of a place.
Early Origins of the Freitas family
The surname Freitas was first found in Cete, in the mountainous north-west of Portugal. According to the "Armorial Lusitano," the Portuguese family of this name are descended from Goncalo Ouveques, founder of the monastery of Cete, and father of Diogo Goncalves de Urro, who fought under King Afonso Henrique of Portugal (1128-1185,) in the Battle of Campo de Ourique.
Early History of the Freitas family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Freitas research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1779, 1811, and 1815 are included under the topic Early Freitas History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Freitas Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Freitas, Frietas, Freites, De Freitas, De Freites and others.
Early Notables of the Freitas family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Freitas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Freitas is the 3,485th most popular surname with an estimated 9,948 people with that name. 
Migration of the Freitas family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Antonio Freite, who came to Puerto Rico in 1816; John H. Freitas, who was naturalized in Philadelphia in 1836; Manuel M. Freitas, who arrived in Providence, RI in 1872.
|Contemporary Notables of the name Freitas (post 1700) ||+|
- Jesse Freitas (1921-2020), American professional NFL football quarterback who played from 1946 to 1949, father of Jesse Freitas Jr
- Jesse Lee Freitas (1951-2015), American football quarterback for the San Diego Chargers (1974-1975)
- Marjorie R. Freitas, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1956 (alternate), 1964 
- Henry Freitas, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Hawaii Territory, 1932 
- Donald P. Freitas, American politician, Mayor of Antioch, California, 2000-08; Defeated, 2008 
- Diogo Pinto de Freitas do Amaral (b. 1941), Portuguese politician and law professor
- José Vicente de Freitas (1869-1952), Portuguese military officer and politician
- Duarte Freitas (b. 1966), Portuguese politician and Member of the European Parliament
- Christophe Freitas (b. 1981), French football player
- Daniel Correa Freitas (1994-2018), known as Daniel, a Brazilian professional footballer who
- ... (Another 5 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)