The surname Franchini comes from the same roots as the word "Franc," which was a name for a Germanic people known as the Franks, who inhabited the lands around the Rhine River in Roman times. In the 6th century, under the leadership of Clovis I, the Frankish tribe established a substantial empire in Europe, which later developed into the Holy Roman Empire
. The popularity of this name as a Medieval personal name
was in part due to St. Francis of Assissi (1181-1226), the Italian religious founder of the Franciscan Order.
Early Origins of the Franchini family
The surname Franchini was first found in Padua (Italian: Padova, Latin: Patavium, Venetian: Padoa), although there have been noble families of this name in Bologna, Cesena, Ravenna, and Verona since the Middle Ages.
Early History of the Franchini family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Franchini research.Another 284 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1450, 1477, 1517, 1580, 1625, and 1776 are included under the topic Early Franchini History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Franchini Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Franchini, Franchino, Francinni, Francini and others.
Early Notables of the Franchini family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Franchini Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Franchini family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Franchini Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Franchini, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Mottola, Italy, in 1907
- Amelia Franchini, aged 18, who landed in America from Massafra, Lecce, Italy, in 1909
- Calogero Franchini, aged 31, who landed in America from Galati, Italy, in 1909
- Attilio Franchini, aged 18, who emigrated to America from Paruzzaro, Italy, in 1910
- Basilio Franchini, aged 37, who landed in America from S. Marco, Lucca, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Franchini (post 1700)
- Gene Edward Franchini (1935-2009), American lawyer and judge from New Mexico
- Luca Franchini (b. 1983), Italian football player
- Elisabetta Franchini, Italian artist who works with pastels and oils
- Umberto Franchini, Italian actor
- Roberto Franchini (b. 1973), Australian semi-professional ice hockey player