A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany
, including the notable surname Franchetti. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Tuscany, who were originally known only by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The development of Italian hereditary surnames followed general principles and were characterized by derivatives from one's given name. The patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types found in the region of Tuscany
. This system of name-making was widely used because it linked well with the existing Feudal
System and during the Christian era, many people named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Franchetti came from the very popular medieval given name Francis, which itself was originally derived from the Latin Franciscus. This was originally a name for a Frenchman.
Early Origins of the Franchetti family
The surname Franchetti was first found in Siena where Bartolomeo di Francesco lived in 1349.
Early History of the Franchetti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Franchetti research.Another 190 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1415, 1492, 1443, 1468, 1599, 1540, 1596, 1580, 1552, 1570, 1611, 1689, 1648, 1729, 1650, 1680 and 1530 are included under the topic Early Franchetti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Franchetti Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations
. The recorded spellings of Franchetti include Franceschi, Francesco, Francesca, De Franceschi, De Francesco, De Francisci, De Franciscis, Di Francesco, Francescatti, Franchetti, Franciscello, Franceschelli, Franceschetti, Franceschetto, Franceschet, Franceschini, Franceschin, Franceschinel, Francescotti, Francesconi, Francescon, Francescato, Cecchi, Ceschi, Checchi, Chini and many more.
Early Notables of the Franchetti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Piero della Francesca (c.
1415-1492), was an Early Renaissance
painter is famous for his depiction of perspective. He also wrote several books on this subject. Francesco de Franceschi (active 1443-1468) was an Italian Renaissance
painter. Francesco Franceschi (died c. 1599) was a printer in... Another 140 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Franchetti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Franchetti family to the New World and Oceana
In the immigration and passenger lists a number of early immigrants bearing the name Franchetti were found:
Franchetti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alessandro Franchetti, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Livotno, Italy, in 1908
- Antonio Franchetti, aged 8, who settled in America from Norcia, Italy, in 1908
- Celestino Franchetti, aged 20, who landed in America from Filiguano, Italy, in 1913
- Concetta Franchetti, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Pergolo, Italy, in 1913
- Angelina Franchetti, aged 18, who landed in America from Montescudo, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Franchetti (post 1700)
- Arnold Franchetti (1911-1993), Italian-born, American composer
- Baroness Afdera Franchetti (b. 1931), Italian Baroness
- Leopoldo Franchetti (1847-1917), Italian publicist and politician
- Rina Franchetti (1907-2010), Italian film actress who appeared in 50 films
- Guglielmo Franchetti (b. 1985), Italian motorcycle speedway rider
- Alberto Franchetti (1860-1942), Italian opera composer