Fortenberry History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Fortenberry family
The surname Fortenberry was first found in Baden, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Important Dates for the Fortenberry family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fortenberry research. Another 115 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1736 and 1794 are included under the topic Early Fortenberry History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fortenberry Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Furstenberg, Fürstenberg, Furstengerger, Furstenbusch, Forstenberg, Foersdenberg, Vorstenberg and many more.
Early Notables of the Fortenberry family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Fortenberry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Fortenberry family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Elizabeth Forss, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1796; Antoine Fuerstenberger, who settled in Texas in 1846; Lorentz Fuerstenberg, who arrived in New York, NY in 1854.
Contemporary Notables of the name Fortenberry (post 1700)
- Lieutenant Ralph M. Fortenberry, U.S. Navy, Medical Officer at McMurdo Station, Hut Point Peninsula, Ross Island, 1960, eponym of the Fortenberry Glacier, Antarctica
- Kenneth Hale "Ken" Fortenberry, American newspaper publisher, author, and journalist
- Joseph Cephis "Joe" Fortenberry (1911-1993), American Olympic basketball player at the 1936 Summer Olympics
- John Fortenberry, American film and television director from Jackson, Mississippi
- Jeffrey Lane "Jeff" Fortenberry (b. 1960), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from the First Congressional District of Nebraska (2005-) from Baton Rouge, Louisiana 
Historic Events for the Fortenberry family
- Mr. Alvie Charles Fortenberry, American Coxswain from Mississippi, USA working aboard the ship "USS Arizona" when she sunk during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7th December 1941, he died in the sinking 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Pearl Harbour: USS Arizona Casualties List Pearl Harbour December 7, 1941. (Retrieved 2018, July 31st). Retrieved from http://pearl-harbor.com/arizona/casualtylist.html