Font History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Font, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Font, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Many Spanish local names reflect Arabic words or place-names because Spain was conquered by the Muslim Moors from the 8th to 12th centuries.The Font family originally lived in the region of Fuentes which is a place-name that means fountains.
Early Origins of the Font family
The surname Font was first found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of the Middle Ages.
Early History of the Font family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Font research. Another 113 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1185, 1576, 1680 and 1640 are included under the topic Early Font History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Font Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fuentes, Fuente, de la Fuente, Fuentecilla, Fuéntez, Fuentez, Font, Fonte, Fontes, Fontecilla, Fontana, Fontano, Fontanal, Fontanales, Fontanals, Fontanella, Fontanet, Fontanillos and many more.
Early Notables of the Font family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Font were Juan Pedro Fontanella (1576-1680), a Catalan judge and advocate, co-instigator of the Catalan Revolt of 1640; seventeenth century Spanish navigator Bartolomé Fuentes; seventeenth century Catalan lawyer and politician Joan Pere...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Font Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Font migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Font Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Salvador Font Darder and Andrés Fontanals, who sailed to Puerto Rico in 1803
- Jaime Font, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803 
- Jose Font, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1820 
- Juan Bautista Font, aged 29, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1822 
- Julian Font, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1827 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Font (post 1700)
- Héctor Font Romero (b. 1984), Spanish professional footballer
- August Font, Catalan architect
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)