Foltz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Foltz appears to be of patronymic origin, that is, a surname derived from the first name of the father or other ancestor of the eponymous bearer. It is based on the Germanic personal name Volz, which was very popular in former times, and simply means "son or descendant of Volz or Folz." Its etymology may be traced to the German word "volk," meaning "people," or "folk." Like many of the old Germanic personal names, its exact significance as a name is unclear; however, it was often used as an element in a compound name such as Vol(k)mar, or Vollbert.
Early Origins of the Foltz family
The surname Foltz was first found in the regions of the Rhineland-Palatinate and also further south to the area near Wurttemberg, where the ancestors of those bearing the name Foltz contributed to the feudal society of the early Middle Ages. Early records of the surname are found in the city of Worms, where one Johann filius quandam Volzonis was a citizen in 1316 (Urkunden zur hessischen Landes, Orts, Familiengeschichte, II-601). A record of one Wernherus Voltzo can be found earlier still, in 1226 (Wurttembergisches Urkundenbuch, III-188).
Early History of the Foltz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Foltz research. Another 126 words (9 lines of text) covering the year 1620 is included under the topic Early Foltz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Foltz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Folz, Foltz, Volz, Voll, Volk, Volsch, Fols and many more.
Early Notables of the Foltz family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Foltz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Foltz is the 4,607th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Foltz migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Foltz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Melchior Foltz arrived at the port of New York in 1709 with his wife Margaretha and their 3 children
- Melchior Foltz, who arrived in New York in 1709 
- Melchoir Foltz, who landed in New York, NY in 1710 
- Peter Foltz, who landed in America in 1726 
- Hendrick Foltz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Foltz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Foltz, who arrived in Maryland in 1812 
- Nicholas Foltz, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1839 
- Jacob Foltz, who landed in Chile in 1850 
- Christopher Foltz, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857 
- Moses Foltz, who landed in Mississippi in 1859 
Contemporary Notables of the name Foltz (post 1700) +
- Vernon Jay Foltz (b. 1918), former American football offensive lineman
- Jerry Foltz (b. 1962), American professional golfer and commentator
- Ryan Foltz, American producer, audio engineer and musician
- Richard Foltz (b. 1961), Canadian scholar of American origin
- Clara Shortridge Foltz (1849-1934), American who was the first female lawyer on the West Coast
- Ralph E. Foltz, American fighter pilot and flying ace in the U.S. Navy, during World War II, credited with 5 aerial victories
- Philipp Foltz (1805-1877), German historical painter
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)