Fogleman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Fogleman is a name that originated in Thuringia, which is located between Hessen and Lower Saxony in the west and Saxony in the east. During the 2nd and 3rd centuries, Thuringia was a kingdom of the Germanic Hermunderen, but the land was conquered by the Franks and the Saxons in the mid-6th century. Thuringia was brought under the rule of Franconian counts by Charles Martel and Charlemagne founded the Thuringian Mark in 804 as a defensive region against the Slavs. In the late 15th century, Thuringia was divided into four main principalities: Sachsen-Weimar, Sachsen-Altenburg, Sachsen-Coburg, and Sachsen-Meiningen. Thuringia retained its independent status until it became a part of the German Empire after the Unification of 1871.
Early Origins of the Fogleman family
The surname Fogleman was first found in Thuringia, in the south-eastern part of Saxony, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. The family can be traced as far back as the year 1544, when Heinrich Vogel the Elder founded a branch of the family in the Duchy of Gotha.
Early History of the Fogleman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fogleman research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1749, 1781, 1790, 1814, and 1831 are included under the topic Early Fogleman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fogleman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vogel, Voegel, Vogele, Voegele, Voegelein, Vagel (northern Germany), Vogeler, Vogler, Voegler, Voegeler, Vogl (Austria), Vageler (northern Germany), Fogel, Fogeler, Vakel, Vogal, Vogels, Vogall and many more.
Early Notables of the Fogleman family (pre 1700)
Notable members of the surname Fogleman in this period were Joseph Anton Vogl, a noted physician in Pusterthals who was ennobled in 1781 for his outstanding accomplishments. He brought...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Fogleman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fogleman migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fogleman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Condradt Fogleman, aged 35, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1738 
- Geo Fogleman, who arrived in North Carolina in 1763 
Contemporary Notables of the name Fogleman (post 1700) +
- John Albert Fogleman (1911-2004), American Democrat politician, Justice of Arkansas State Supreme Court, 1967-79; Chief Justice of Arkansas State Supreme Court, 1980-81 
- Floyd Fogleman, American co-developer of the Kline-Fogleman airfoil or KF airfoil in the 1960s
- Ronald Robert Fogleman (1942-1994), retired United States Air Force general, the 16th Chief of Staff of the Air Force from 1994 to 1997
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html