Fiddy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Fiddy is of Scottish origin. It is derived from "Fiddes," the name of a barony once known as Fothes or Futhos located in Foveran, Kincardineshire. The name is thought to be derived from the Gaelic "fiodhais," meaning "wood-place."
Early Origins of the Fiddy family
The surname Fiddy was first found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where the Fiddy family was anciently seated in its territories. The Pictish influence on Scottish history diminished after Kenneth Macalpine became King of all Scotland. But those east coast families still played an important role in government and were more accessible to Government than their western highland counterparts. Allegiances were important to Scottish middle age survival. Later they held a family seat at Aberdeenshire.
Important Dates for the Fiddy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fiddy research. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1373, 1435, 1488, 1524, 1621, and 1745 are included under the topic Early Fiddy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fiddy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fiddes, Fotheis, Fuddes, Fudes, Futhes, Fouthas, Futhois, Fothes, Futhas, Fudas, Fittes, Fette and many more.
Early Notables of the Fiddy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Fiddy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fiddy migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Fiddy Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Fiddy Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Benjamin J. Fiddy, aged 54, arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Hegira" from Saint Nazaire, France 
- William Fiddy, aged 21, arrived in New York in 1923 aboard the ship "Arcadian" from Bermuda 
Contemporary Notables of the name Fiddy (post 1700)
- Chantelle Fiddy, British journalist, columnist, event promoter and music industry professional
You May Also Like
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J67D-LX7 : 6 December 2014), Benjamin J. Fiddy, 13 Nov 1919; citing departure port Saint Nazaire, France, arrival port New York, ship name Hegira, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JN7F-GTP : 6 December 2014), William Fiddy, 12 Nov 1923; citing departure port Bermuda, arrival port New York, ship name Arcadian, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).