Felts History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Felts family
The surname Felts was first found in Holland, where the name van der Feltz became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Gelderland, (Guelders) an ancient province surrounding the town of Gelder. To the south of Friesland this province was originally in two parts north and south of the Rhine. In addition, the province is sub-divided into four towns, or quarters, Nijmegan, Arnhem, Zutphen and Roermond, each having unique rights and customs. Apeldoorn is a city of note. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Felts family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Felts research.Another 277 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1867 and 1882 are included under the topic Early Felts History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Felts Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Feltz, Felt, Felts, van der Feltz, van der Felt, vand der Felts, de Feltz, de Felt, de Felts, von der Felt and many more.
Early Notables of the Felts family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Felts Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Felts family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Felts Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Felts, who arrived in Virginia in 1711
- Henry Felts, who landed in Virginia in 1711 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Felts Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. Felts, who arrived in Mississippi in 1820
Contemporary Notables of the name Felts (post 1700)
- James Buell Felts (1898-1927), Washington Air National Guard aviator killed in a crash in 1927, eponym of Felts Field, a historic airfield located on the south bank of the Spokane River
- Nollie C. "Papa" Felts (1905-1974), American football player for the Southern Miss Golden Eagles
- Narvel Felts (b. 1938), American country music singer
- Marion C. Felts, American fighter pilot and flying ace in the U.S. Army Air Forces, during World War II, credited with 5 aerial victories
- Gina Felts, American actress
- Thomas Lafayette Felts, co-founder of The Baldwin-Felts Detective Agency
Suggested Readings for the name Felts
- The Feltz (also Felts) Family history: 150 Years by Patricia Feltz Cohen.
Felts Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)