100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Fell family come from? What is the Scottish Fell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Fell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Fell family history?The name was derived from the place named Fell in Cumberland which in turn was derived from the Icelandic name "fell" which meant a "fell or wild hill."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fell, Fells and others.
First found in Dundee where one of the most interesting references of the name was of Finlay Fell, butcher and later burgess in 1533. He was the first of a long list of butchers within the same family which held the profession for more than a century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fell research. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1584, 1649, 1598, 1658, 1625, 1686, 1700, 1614 and 1702 are included under the topic Early Fell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 171 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Fell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Robert Fell settled in New Orleans, LA
Fell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Fell, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Henry Fell settled in Virginia in 1623
- Thomas Fell settled in Maine in 1624
- William Fell, who landed in Virginia in 1654
- Edward Fell, who landed in Maryland in 1659
Fell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary Fell settled in Jamaica in 1716
- Johan Peter Fell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Casper Fell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Margaretha Fell, who landed in America in 1754
Fell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christopher Fell, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- Caspar, Charles, Henry, James, John, Mary, Phillip, Richard, Robert, and Thomas Fell all arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1804 and 1850
- Nancy A Fell, who arrived in New York in 1850
- Mr. Fell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Magdalena Fell, aged 24, landed in New York, NY in 1852
Fell Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- W Fell, who arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Fell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Harriet Fell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cleveland" in 1839
Fell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Fell, aged 33, a baker, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "London" in 1840
- Elizabeth Fell, aged 31, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "London" in 1840
- John Fell landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1840
- Robert Fell landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1841 aboard the ship Lady Nugent
- William Fell landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1841
- Norman Fell (1924-1998), American film and television actor, most famous for his role as landlord Mr. Roper on the sitcom Three's Company
- Miss Edith Fell (1877-1914), Canadian Third Class Passenger from Toronto, Ontario, Canada who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Captain William Fell, Salvage Expert, and many more
- Sheila Fell, Artist
- Robert Fell, Chief Executive Stock Exchange
- Dame Honor Fell, Medical Research
- Charles Fell, Insurance Co. President
- Anthony Fell, British Conservative Member of Parliament for Great Yarmouth
- Jesse W Fell (1808-1887), Illinois businessman, founder Illinois State University
- Jehn Fell (1625-1686), Anglican divine
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Fell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2014 at 09:22.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!