Farrugia History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Farrugia surname was first found in Sicily and Malta. In the Maltese language the word "farrug" means "a cockerel."
Early Origins of the Farrugia family
The surname Farrugia was first found in Sardinia (Italian: Sardegna, Sardinian: Sardigna), the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. The original inhabitants were Sicels. The Greeks colonized in 735 B.C. Phoenician settlements began in 6th century. Carthaginians arrived 410. Romans arrived, then the Saracens. Then the Norman Conquest said to be Sicily's brightest hour, 1057 A.D and taking 35 years. They made Sicilians the leading Maritimes power in the Mediterranean, and King Roger of Sicily one of the greatest Kings in Europe. From Sicily they invaded Greece. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Important Dates for the Farrugia family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Farrugia research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1764 is included under the topic Early Farrugia History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Farrugia Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Farrugia, Farruggia, Ferrugia, Ferruggia and others.
Early Notables of the Farrugia family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Farrugia Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Farrugia migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Farrugia Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Giovanni Farrugia arrived at Ellis Island, New York from Italy March 22, 1903
- Luigi Farrugia of Aragona, Sicily arrived at Ellis Island on Sep 14, 1907
- Angelo Farrugia, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Calforucinaffe, Sicily, in 1909
- Giovanni Farrugia, aged 25, who settled in America from Aragona, Sicily, in 1910
- Guiseppe Farrugia, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Farrugia (post 1700)
- Francis Saviour Farrugia, Maltese philosopher, doctor of law, and legislator
- Louis Farrugia (1857-1933), Maltese theologian and minor philosopher
- Mario Farrugia (b. 1955), Maltese professional footballer
- Angelo "Anglu" Farrugia (b. 1955), Maltese politician
- Raymond 'Zazu' Farrugia (b. 1955), Maltese football coach and former player
- Dominique Farrugia (b. 1962), French actor from Vichy, France
- Louis J Farrugia (b. 1952), Senior Lecturer Department of Chemistry University of Glasgow
- Aaron Farrugia (b. 1980), Maltese economist and politician
You May Also Like