100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The ancient and distinguished surname Fankhauser is of German origin. It is derived from the Middle High German "funke," meaning "spark," and was most likely originally used to denote a blacksmith. Alternatively, it may have originally been bestowed as a nickname
to indicate a very lively person.
The surname Fankhauser was first found in Baden, as well as the Rhineland
and Pomerania, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the areas. The young Fankhauser family declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending its influence in struggles for power and status within the region. It branched into many houses, and its contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The origins of the name make it likely that several branches of the Fankhauser family emerged independently in various areas of Germany
. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was a knight called Funke, who was living in the town of Rüdesheim in 1280.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Funck, Funcke, Funcken, Funk, Funke, Funken, Funkh, Funckenheim, Funckner, Funkhauser and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fankhauser research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1646, 1723, 1836, 1504, 1539, 1642, 1699, 1666, 1746, 1736 and 1786 are included under the topic Early Fankhauser History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Fankhauser Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fankhauser Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Fankhauser, who immigrated to New Jersey with his family in 1819
- Gottfried Fankhauser, aged 19, who landed in America from LaHente, in 1899
Fankhauser Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Wilhelm Fankhauser, aged 42, who landed in America from Basel, Switzerland, in 1910
- Frieda Fankhauser, aged 21, who emigrated to America from Solothurn, Switzerland, in 1911
- Christian Fankhauser, aged 32, who landed in America from Chesiok, Switzerland, in 1913
- Johann Fankhauser, aged 5, who emigrated to the United States from Chesiok, Switzerland, in 1913
- Max Fankhauser, aged 3, who landed in America from Chesiok, Switzerland, in 1913
- Gerhard Fankhauser (1901-1981), American embryologist, Princeton professor (1931 to 1969)
- James Lee Fankhauser (b. 1939), American conductor, tenor, and educator
- Merrell Wayne Fankhauser (b. 1943), American singer, songwriter and guitarist
- Rupert Fankhauser, Austrian clarinetist, lecturer at the University of Music and Pictoral Arts in Vienna
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
The Fankhauser Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fankhauser Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 January 2015 at 17:19.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!