Errigo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany, including the notable surname Errigo. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, people in Tuscany, who had been going by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types of name created in this region. The surname Errigo was created from came from the Teutonic name Henry. In fact, the name Henry is derived from the Old German Haimric which means home-rule. There were many Teutonic names in Italy following the fall of the Roman Empire.
Errigo Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Errigo include and others.
| Errigo migration to the United States ||+|
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Errigo:
Errigo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Caterina Errigo, aged 6, who landed in America from Pellaro, in 1901
- Giovanni Errigo, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from Reggiol, Italy, in 1907
- Giuseppe Errigo, aged 22, who settled in America from Castellammare, Italy, in 1909
- Francesca Errigo, aged 21, who landed in America from Castell, Golss, Sicily, in 1909
- Gioacchino Errigo, aged 58, who settled in America from Castell, Golss, Sicily, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Errigo (post 1700) ||+|
- Joseph A. Errigo (1938-2020), American politician, Member of the New York Assembly (2016-2018)