Epes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Epes family are found in the German state of Bavaria. The Epes surname, was a local name, for someone who lived in Bavaria, where they became known from the early Middle Ages as an important family within the social and cultural life of the community.
Early Origins of the Epes family
The surname Epes was first found in Bavaria, where the family held a family seat in the Middle Ages. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Eberhart and Friedericus of Ebs in Bavaria in 1190, Albertus (Appelinus) dictus Eppelin in Heilbronn in 1283, Rudel Eppfeler in Glatz in 1367, Nicholous Eppler in Iglau in 1390.
Early History of the Epes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Epes research. Another 319 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1290, 1295, 1434, 1515, 1586, 1598, 1717, and 1814 are included under the topic Early Epes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Epes Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Epes include Epple, Eppler, Epler, Eppel, Eppell, Eppli, Epp, Eppo, Eppe, Eppard, Eppele, Eppelin, Eppeler, Eppfeler, Eppelen, Epplen, Eppan, Eppaner, Epplan, Eplan, Epling, Eppling, Eps, Epps, Ebs, Ebbs, Eppes, Epes, Eppley and many more.
Early Notables of the Epes family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Epes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Epes migration to the United States +
German settlers were among the most common to come to North America between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries. Poverty and religious persecution drove many Bavarians to make this long trek. tenant farmers were also enticed by the prospect of owning land. From east to west, these German immigrants populated the United States, settling in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada also provided homes to many. Early settlers bearing the Epes surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Epes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Epes, who arrived in Virginia in 1621-1629 
- Margrett Epes, who arrived in Virginia in 1621 
- William Epes, who landed in Virginia in 1624-1625 
- William Epes, who settled in Virginia between 1624 and 1625
- Daniel Epes, who landed in New England in 1649 
Contemporary Notables of the name Epes (post 1700) +
- Sydney Parham Epes (1865-1900), American Democrat politician, Newspaper editor and publisher; Member of Virginia State House of Delegates, 1891-92;
- Louis Spencer Epes (1882-1935), American Democrat politician, Member of Virginia State Senate 28th District, 1920-21; Presidential Elector for Virginia, 1920; Justice of Virginia State Supreme Court, 1929-35; Appointed 1929; Died in office 1935
- James Fletcher Epes (1842-1910), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from Virginia 4th District, 1891-95
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)