on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Engesser family come from? What is the German Engesser family crest and coat of arms? When did the Engesser family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Engesser family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Engesser, Enggesser, Engasser, Engasser, Ungesser, Ungerer and many more.
First found in Austria, where the family name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Engesser research. Another 175 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Engesser History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Engesser Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Engesser Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Engesser, who settled in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania in 1866
- Charles Engesser, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866
- Rosine Engesser, who arrived in New York in 1871
- Charles Engesser, who was naturalized in Philadelphia in 1872
- Peter Engesser, who came to Pennsylvania in 1880
- William Engesser (1939-2002), American movie actor who stood 7'3", known for his roles as Jerry Reed's bodyguard in Gator (1976) and Richard/"Bigfoot" in The Secrets of Isis (1975)
- Stewart Engesser, American award-winning writer, producer, actor, director and musician
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
The Engesser Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Engesser Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 January 2015 at 08:32.
on orders of $85 or more