Engelman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Engelman emerged in the ancient German province of Westphalia, which lies between the Rhine and Wesser rivers. Two of the common types of hereditary surnames found in the Westphalia were patronymic surnames, which were derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which were derived from the mother's given name. The surname Engelman was derived from various Germanic personal names. The name Engelman is a short form of given names such as Engelbert or Engelhard.
Early Origins of the Engelman family
The surname Engelman was first found in Bremen, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation which would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. In later years the name branched into many houses, each playing a significant role in the local social and political affairs.
Early History of the Engelman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Engelman research. Another 120 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1772, 1630, 1674, 1669 and 1694 are included under the topic Early Engelman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Engelman Spelling Variations
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Engelman include Engel, Engels, Engell, Engeler, Engeli, Aingel, Aingell, Aengel, Aengell, Aingeler, Engele, Aingele, Engler, Engebretson, Engelbrekt, Engelbretson, Engebrecht, Engelbrecht, Engelbrecher, Engelbert and many more.
Early Notables of the Engelman family (pre 1700)
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Engelman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Engelman migration to the United States +
For many Germans, emigration to North America was an inviting alternative to the trials of life in the old country. From the mid-17th into the present century, thousands of Germans migrated across the Atlantic. They capitalized on the chance to escape poverty and persecution, and to own their own land. After 1650, Germans settled throughout the states of Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Many also landed in Canada, settling in Ontario or father west on the rich land of the prairies. Among them:
Engelman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joh Wilhelm Engelman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741 
- Jacob Engelman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741 
- Joh Andreas Engelman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751 
Engelman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Martin Engelman, who arrived in Texas in 1845 
- Rosine Engelman, aged 27, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Emil Engelman, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Emil Engelman, aged 24, who landed in America from Southampton, in 1897
Engelman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carl Engelman, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1904
- Berta Engelman, aged 36, who immigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Dora Engelman, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Grudok, Russia, in 1906
- Clement Engelman, aged 28, who landed in America from Aschheim, Germany, in 1907
- Adolph D. Engelman, aged 46, who settled in America, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Engelman (post 1700) +
- Robert Engelman, American author and journalist
- Peter G. Engelman, English-born, American writer
- Linda Engelman, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996 
- Harold C. Engelman, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Macomb County, 1940 
- Anthony Engelman (b. 1974), Australian actor, best known for his role on the Australian Network Ten soap Neighbours
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html