Early Origins of the Elrod family
The surname Elrod was first found in Prussia
, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the region from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Elrod became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation.
Early History of the Elrod family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elrod research.Another 263 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1704, 1759, and 1763 are included under the topic Early Elrod History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Elrod Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Elrod, Ellrod, Elrodt, Ellrodt, Elroyd, Allrod, Alrod, Allrodt, Elrat, Elrad, Elradt, Ellrad, Elroot, Ellroot, Ellroodt and many more.
Early Notables of the Elrod family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Elrod Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Elrod family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Dider Elroot settled in New York in 1709; John Elrat settled in New York in 1854.
Contemporary Notables of the name Elrod (post 1700)
- James Whittington "Jimbo" Elrod (1954-2016), American football linebacker
- Richard J. Elrod (1934-2014), American jurist, sheriff, and legislator, Member of the Illinois House of Representatives in 1969
- Hal Elrod, American motivational keynote speaker, bestselling author, and success coach
- Samuel Harrison Elrod (1856-1935), American politician, was the 5th Governor of South Dakota
- Scott Elrod (b. 1975), American actor
- Jennifer Walker Elrod (b. 1966), federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals
- Jonathan "Jon" Robert Elrod (b. 1977), American attorney and politician
- Patricia N. Elrod, American novelist specializing in urban fantasy
- Henry Talmage Elrod (1905-1941), United States Marine Corps aviator. He was the first aviator to be awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism in the defense of Wake Island during World War II
Suggested Readings for the name Elrod
- The Elrod Family and Allied Lines of Douthit, Riddle, Douglas and Redenbaugh Families by Pauline Walters.