100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Elizondo. The Spanish surname Elizondo is derived from the place name where the initial bearer lived or held land. In this case, "eleiza" is the Basque term for "church," and the suffix "-ondo" means near or beside. Thus, the surname Elizondo was derived from ancient Basque as the term for someone living near a church.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Elizonda, Eleizondo, Elizalde, Eliza and others.
First found in the Navarre- Basque region, one of the medieval Christian kingdoms of northern Spain. Early records show a presence of the Elizondo family in Pamplona, Navarre.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elizondo research. Another 365 words (26 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Elizondo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Elizondo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Elizondo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Elizondo, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1839
- Manuel Elizondo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1846
- Faustino Elizondo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1848
Elizondo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joaquin Elizondo, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Leranoz, Spain, in 1913
- Casto Elizondo, aged 24, who landed in America from Izaba, Spain, in 1913
- David Elizondo, aged 18, who landed in America from Mexico, Mexico, in 1913
- Crus Elizondo, aged 19, who settled in America from Navarra, Spain, in 1916
- Elio Elizondo, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Matanzas, Cuba, in 1917
- Virgilio Elizondo, Mexican American, Roman Catholic priest
- René Elizondo Jr. (b. 1962), American dancer, songwriter, and music video director
- Michael "Mike" Elizondo, well-known American songwriter, bassist, keyboardist, and hip hop music producer
- Héctor Elizondo (b. 1936), American actor
- William Elizondo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1972
- Pamela Elizondo, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 1st District, 2000, 2004
- Meghan Elizondo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2004
- Dolly L. Elizondo, American Democrat politician, Chair of Hidalgo County Democratic Party, 2013
- Concepcion Elizondo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 2000, 2004
- Domingo Elizondo (d. 1783), Spanish soldier of Basque origin
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Elizondo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Elizondo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 March 2016 at 14:50.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!