Early Origins of the Elicome family
The surname Elicome was first found in Devon
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1306 when de Elacombe held a family seat at the Halden Hills.
Early History of the Elicome family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Elicome research.Another 217 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Elicome History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Elicome Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Elicome have been found, including Ellacombe, Ellicombe, Ellicomb, Ellacomb, Elcom, Elcum, Elcomb, Elacombe, Elacomb, Ellcum and many more.
Early Notables of the Elicome family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Elicome Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Elicome family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Elicome, or a variant listed above: settlers, who arrived along the eastern seaboard, from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands.
The Elicome Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Nulla fraus tuta latebris
Motto Translation: No deceit is safe in its hiding place.