Eilers History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Eilers is a German occupational surname that evolved in the region known as the Rhineland. Germans at first used only one name, but population growth and increased travel in medieval times caused confusion between people of the same name, forcing the people to adopt hereditary surnames. These names often identified people by the kind of work they did. Eilers is a name for a brave warrior. The surname Eilers originally derived from the German words "agil" which means "weapon," and "hard," which means "hard." A broad and miscellaneous class of names, nickname surnames referred to a characteristic of the first person who used the name. They can describe the bearer's favored style of clothing, appearance, habits, or character.
Early Origins of the Eilers family
The surname Eilers was first found in the Lower Rhine region, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Eilers family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eilers research. Another 109 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Eilers History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Eilers Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Eiler, Eil, Eill, Eyler, Eyll, Eiller, Eyller and others.
Early Notables of the Eilers family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Eilers Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Eilers migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Eilers Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jos Eilers, who arrived in America in 1837 
- Friedrich Eilers, who arrived in Texas in 1846 
- Herrm Eilers, aged 19, who landed in New York, NY in 1855 
Contemporary Notables of the name Eilers (post 1700) +
- Arthur "Artie" Edwin Eilers (1888-1958), American Commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference (1946-1957)
- Dorothy Sally Eilers (1908-1978), American actress who appeared in 68 films, perhaps best known for her roles in Bad Girl (1931), The Black Camel (1931) and State Fair (1933)
- Patrick Christopher "Pat" Eilers (b. 1966), retired American NFL football safety who played from 1990 to 1995
- Emma Eilers (1870-1951), American painter, daughter of Antone Eilers
- Dave Louis Eilers (b. 1936), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1964 to 1967
- Henry Anton Eilers (1870-1901), United States Navy gunner's mate, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Frederic Anton Eilers (1839-1917), German immigrant to the United States, co-founder of the American Smelting and Refining Company
- Justin Eilers (1978-2008), American professional mixed martial artist
- Justin Eilers (b. 1988), Germany football forward
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)