Ehlert History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ehlert family
The surname Ehlert was first found in Germany, where the name Ehlert came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status. Like many surnames, the name Ehlert is taken from a personal name common at the time surnames first began to be used in Germany. The name comes from the Germanic words "agil," meaning "the edge or point of a weapon" and "hard" meaning "hardy or strong."
Early History of the Ehlert family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ehlert research. Another 79 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1825 and 1859 are included under the topic Early Ehlert History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ehlert Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ehlert, Ehlers, Ehler, Eiler, Eilert and others.
Early Notables of the Ehlert family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the name Ehlert included Ludwig Ehlert, born at Konigsberg 1825, pianist and composer, but chiefly known as a cultivated critic and litterateur. His...
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ehlert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Ehlert is the 10,919th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Ehlert migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ehlert Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karl Friedrich Ehlert, aged 36, who arrived in America in 1846 
- Wilhelm Ehlert, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
- Heinrich Ehlert, who arrived in New York, NY in 1870 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Ehlert (post 1700) ||+|
- Lois Ehlert (1934-2021), American author and illustrator of children's books, awarded the Caldecott Honor for her book Color Zoo
- Petra Ehlert (1966-2021), German stage and television actress
- Tamara Ehlert (1921-2008), German writer and lyricist
- Louis Ehlert (1825-1884), German composer and music critic
|Historic Events for the Ehlert family ||+|
- Mr. Casper Ehlert, American Signalman Third Class from Wisconsin, USA working aboard the ship "USS Arizona" when she sunk during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7th December 1941, he died in the sinking 
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Pearl Harbour: USS Arizona Casualties List Pearl Harbour December 7, 1941. (Retrieved 2018, July 31st). Retrieved from http://pearl-harbor.com/arizona/casualtylist.html