100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Eggers family come from? What is the German Eggers family crest and coat of arms? When did the Eggers family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Eggers family history?German patronymic such as Eggers names emerged as early as the mid-9th century. These surnames were derived from the given name of the father of the first bearer of the name; Eggers means "son of Eggert."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Eggers, Egers, Egge, Eggens, Egges, Ecgers, Eggs, Egs, Eggerts, Egging, Eggerding and many more.
First found in Schleswig-Holstein, where the family became noted for its many branches within the region, many houses acquiring a status and influence which rivaled that of the landed aristocracy. This name was quite common in the city of Hamburg.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eggers research. Another 457 words (33 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1751, 1798, 1806 and 1856 are included under the topic Early Eggers History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Eggers Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Eggers Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Julius Eggers, age 39, who arrived in Albany, NY in 1776
- Johann Eggers, who landed in America in 1778
- Julius Eggers, who arrived in America in 1780
- Georg Eggers, who landed in Long Island in 1781
- Heinrich Eggers, who arrived in Long Island in 1781
Eggers Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charlotte Eggers settled with her 4 children in Baltimore, Maryland in 1823
- J. C. Eggers, age 37, settled in Baltimore, Maryland in 1823
- Bernh Eggers, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- G A Eggers, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Henry Eggers, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
Eggers Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Margaret Eggers, aged 34, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Arawa" in 1884
- William "Bill" Eggers (b. 1967), American writer and government consultant
- Otto Reinhold Eggers (1882-1964), American architect, co-founder of the firm Eggers & Higgins, New York
- Graydon Poe Eggers Sr. (1903-1994), American first head football coach for the Appalachian State Mountaineers
- Frank Hague Eggers (1901-1954), American attorney, jurist, and Democratic Party politician, 31st Mayor of Jersey City (1947-1949)
- Dave Eggers (b. 1970), American writer, editor, and publisher, known for the best-selling memoir A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
- Paul Walter Eggers (1919-2013), prominent Texas lawyer and politician
- Alfred John Eggers Jr. (1922-2006), American founder of the American Institute for Aerospace and Astronautics
- Sergeant Alan Louis Eggers (1895-1968), United States Army soldier awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions
- Melvin Arnold Eggers (1916-1994), Chancellor of the University of Syracuse from 1971 to 1991
- Kurt Eggers (1905-1943), German writer, poet, songwriter, and playwright
- Westward J-J by Mildred Shirley.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
The Eggers Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Eggers Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 March 2015 at 08:25.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!