Edgerly History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Edgerly family
The surname Edgerly was first found in Cheshire at Edgerley, a civil parish and township in the parish of Alford, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton. The first record of the surname was found in the year 1189 when Albert de Edgerdle held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Edgerly family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Edgerly research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Edgerly History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Edgerly Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Edgerly has appeared include Edgerley, Edgelly, Edgely, Egerley, Egelly, Egely, Edgeley, Hedgely, Hedgerly and many more.
Early Notables of the Edgerly family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Edgerly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Edgerly migration to the United States +
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Edgerly arrived in North America very early:
Edgerly Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Edgerly, who arrived in New England in 1665 
Contemporary Notables of the name Edgerly (post 1700) +
- William Edgerly (b. 1980), American professional football player
- Edward Edgerly, American politician
- Albert Webster Edgerly (1852-1926), 19th and 20th century American social reform activist
- Chris Edgerly (b. 1969), American voice actor
- Thomas Edgerly, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for New York canal commission, 1873 
- Nelson Edgerly, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 2004 
- Martin Van Buren Edgerly (1833-1895), American Democrat politician, Member of Democratic National Committee from New Hampshire, 1876; Candidate for Governor of New Hampshire, 1882 
- John A. Edgerly, American politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate 4th District, 1909-10 
- James R. Edgerly, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate 37th District, 1960 
- James A. Edgerly, American politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate 12th District, 1895-96 
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html