Ebright History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Ebright is of Germanic origin. The name means "son of Ebright," and was originally a medieval personal name, derived from the Old Germanic words "agil," meaning "sharp edge," and "berht," meaning "shining."
Early Origins of the Ebright family
The surname Ebright was first found in the North Sea region of Germany, where Ebright was a very popular first name in this region during the early Middle Ages; it is therefore likely that the surname first emerged in this area as well. The young Ebright family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval Germany society.
Early History of the Ebright family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ebright research. Another 64 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1580, 1607, 1639, and 1664 are included under the topic Early Ebright History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ebright Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Eggebrecht, Ebbrecht, Ebrecht, Ebright, Ehebrecht, Ebreck, Eggebreck, Egbert and many more.
Early Notables of the Ebright family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ebright Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ebright family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Philipp Ehbrecht, a Hessian mercenary who settled in America after fighting in the Revolutionary War; Johana Ebbrecht, who sailed from Bremen to Baltimore in 1841.
Contemporary Notables of the name Ebright (post 1700) +
- Thomas Ebright, American former owner of the Portland Pirates and Baltimore Skipjacks, eponym of the Thomas Ebright Memorial Award
- Richard High Ebright, American molecular biologist, Laboratory Director at the Waksman Institute of Microbiology
- Carroll M. "Ky" Ebright (1894-1979), American coach for the University of California, Berkeley, the only man to coach three Olympic gold medal-winning eight-oared boats
- Hiram "Hi" Ebright (1859-1916), American baseball player who played in 16 games for the 1889 Washington Nationals of the National League
- A. M. Ebright (1881-1947), American head basketball college coach (1907-1908) and baseball coach (1906-1908) at the University of Missouri
- Leonidas S. Ebright, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Akron, Ohio, 1897-1910 
- Ephraim Ebright, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Boonville, Indiana, 1869-71 
- Don H. Ebright, American Republican politician, Ohio Treasurer of State, 1939-51; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1944; Candidate for Governor of Ohio, 1950 
Related Stories +