100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Belgium, Dutch-Alt, Dutch, German, Scottish
Where did the German Dyke family come from? What is the German Dyke family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dyke family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dyke family history?The name Dyke is generally thought to be derived from an old Frisian-Lower Saxon personal name, Deiko. It is also likely that versions of this name evolved from the German word "Dyke," in which case the name was most likely occupational for someone who built or operated Dikes.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dickenhausen, Dickenhaussen, Dikenhausen, Dicenhausen, Dickenhhausen, Dickenhausenn and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dyke research. Another 160 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dyke History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dyke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dyke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francis Dyke, aged 26, landed in New York in 1854
- Martha Dyke, aged 20, arrived in New York in 1854
Dyke Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Dyke arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lalla Rookh" in 1840
- Anne Dyke, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Angelina" on April 25, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Mary Dyke, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Angelina" on April 25, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Thomas Dyke arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1849
- Thomas William Dyke, aged 32, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
Dyke Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles Dyke, aged 21, a bricklayer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Conflict" in 1874
- William D. Dyke (b. 1930), American politician
- Woodbridge Strong Van Dyke (1887-1943), American movie director
- Major-General Lewis Glanville Howard Dyke (1900-1984), Australian General Officer Commander in Chief Western Command from 1954 to 1957
- Sir David William Hart Dyke (b. 1955), 10th Baronet
- Sir Derek William Hart Dyke (1924-1987), 9th Baronet
- Sir Oliver Hamilton Augustus Hart Dyke (1885-1969), 8th Baronet
- Archibald Samuel "Archie" Dyke (1886-1955), English footballer
- Broderick Dyke (b. 1960), Australian former professional tennis player
- Sir William Hart Dyke (1837-1931), 7th Baronet, English Conservative politician
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Dyke Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dyke Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2014 at 09:43.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!