Dutra History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble Portuguese surname Dutra is of toponymic origin, as it is derived from a particular place name near which the original bearer lived or held land. It is thought that the surname Dutra is a variant of the surname Utra, which is derived from the Belgium city of Utrecht. Thus, the surname is originally of Belgian descent, although there are orthographic variants specific to Portugal.
Early Origins of the Dutra family
The surname Dutra was first found in the kingdom of Portugal, starting in the 15th century.
Early History of the Dutra family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dutra research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dutra History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dutra Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Huerta, Huerter, Hutra, Utra, Huertere, Hortere and many more.
Early Notables of the Dutra family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dutra Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Dutra is the 7,095th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Dutra family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Manuel Silveira Dutra who settled in California in 1865; Joaquin Dutra who arrived in California in 1882; and Thomas Pereira Dutra who followed soon after in 1892..
|Contemporary Notables of the name Dutra (post 1700) ||+|
- Olin Dutra (1901-1983), American professional golfer 1920s and 1930s
- John A. Dutra, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2000 
- José Cardoso Dutra (1937-2022), Brazilian politician, member of the Brazilian Democratic Movement and later the Brazilian Labour Party, he served in the Legislative Assembly of Amazonas from 1971 to 1979 and again from 1983 to 1987
- José Eduardo Dutra (1957-2015), Brazilian businessman and politician
- Olívio de Oliveira Dutra (b. 1941), Brazilian politician and a founding member of the Workers' Party
- Diana Mary Dutra (b. 1964), Canadian former world Jr. Welterweight boxing champion
- Tiago da Silva Dutra (b. 1990), Brazilian footballer
- Eurico Gaspar Dutra (1883-1974), Brazilian marshal, politician, and president of Brazil from 1946-1951
- Amilcar Dutra de Menezes, Brazilian soldier