on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French, Italian, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Durand family come from? What is the Scottish Durand family crest and coat of arms? When did the Durand family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Durand family history?Though shrouded by the mists of time, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Durand which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of Scotland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Durand, Durant, Durande, Durrane and others.
First found in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, and Salop, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Durand research. Another 221 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1140, 1296, 1632 and 1692 are included under the topic Early Durand History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Durand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Durand Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Durand, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- William Durand who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Wm Durand, who landed in Virginia in 1635
- William Durand, who landed in Maryland in 1648
- Elizabeth Durand, who landed in Maryland in 1648-1649
Durand Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Louise Durand, who landed in Louisiana in 1719
- Marguerite Durand, who arrived in South Carolina in 1755-1756
- Marie Durand, who landed in South Carolina in 1755-1756
- Marie Anne Durand, who arrived in South Carolina in 1755-1756
- Joseph Durand, who arrived in South Carolina in 1755
Durand Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Victor Durand, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1827
- Nicholas Durand, aged 44, arrived in Missouri in 1840
- Joachin Victor Durand, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1841
- Charles Durand, aged 44, arrived in New York in 1849
- Leame Durand, aged 14, arrived in New York in 1849
Durand Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Edward Durand arrived in Canterbury aboard the ship "Hastings" in 1856
- Mary Durand arrived in Canterbury aboard the ship "Hastings" in 1856
- Sarah Ann Durand arrived in Canterbury aboard the ship "Hastings" in 1856
- Asher Brown Durand (1796-1886), American painter
- Elias Durand (1794-1873), French-born, American pharmacist and botanist
- Jacky Durand, French professional cyclist
- Jean-Nicolas-Louis Durand, French author, teacher and architect
- Joël-François Durand (b. 1954), French composer
- Brigadier-General Maurice-Georges-Constant Durand (1886-1963), French Commanding Officer during World War II
- Major-General Pierre-Servais Durand (1883-1956), French Commanding Officer Infantry, 68th Infantry Division (1940)
- Sir Henry Mortimer Durand GCMG, KCSI, KCIE, ICS (1850-1924), was a British diplomat and civil servant of colonial British India
- Nicolas Durand (b. 1982), French rugby union footballer
- Vincent Durand (b. 1984), French football midfielder
- Durand Genealogy by Samuel R. Durand.
- Genealogy of the Durand Family: A Record of the Descendants of Francis Joseph Durand by Celia C. Durand.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
The Durand Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Durand Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 February 2015 at 14:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more