Dreier History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Dreier is of German origin. The name is derived from the Old Germanic word "Dreier," literally meaning "a group of three," which generally referred to a local committee made up of three people which passed laws for the local townships; it is likely that the progenitor of the name was a member of such a group. Alternatively, the name may be derived from "Dreher," meaning "lathe-hand or turner"; in this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a practitioner of this profession.
Early Origins of the Dreier family
The surname Dreier was first found in Bavaria, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The origins of the name make it likely that several branches of the family emerged independently during this early period. The first known bearer of the name was L. Dreghere, who lived in Hannover in 1348.
Early History of the Dreier family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dreier research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1610, 1688, and 1789 are included under the topic Early Dreier History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dreier Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dreyer, Dreier, Dreigher, Dreger, Dreher, Driggs, Dreiger and many more.
Early Notables of the Dreier family (pre 1700)
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dreier Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dreier migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dreier Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- A F Dreier, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849 
- Aug Ferd Dreier, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849 
- Charlotte Dreier, who settled in Texas in 1845
- Adolph Dreier, who landed in America in 1846 
- Johann Joachim Dreier, who settled in New York in 1850
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dreier (post 1700) +
- Thomas Dreier (1884-1976), American editor, writer, advertising executive, and business theorist
- John Caspar Dreier (1906-1994), American diplomat, United States Ambassador to the Organization of American States (1951-1960)
- Hans Dreier (1885-1966), German-born, two-time American Academy Award winning film art director who made nearly 500 films in his career
- Hannah Dreier, American journalist, recipient of a Livingston Award and James Foley Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism
- David Timothy Dreier (b. 1952), American entrepreneur and Republican Party politician, Chairman of the House Rules Committee (2011-2013)
- Katherine Sophie Dreier (1877-1952), well-known American painter
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)