on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The distinguished surname Dreher is of German origin. The name is derived from the Old Germanic word "Dreier," literally meaning "a group of three," which generally referred to a local
committee made up of three people which passed laws for the local townships; it is likely that the progenitor of the name was a member of such a group. Alternatively, the name may be derived from "Dreher," meaning "lathe-hand or turner"; in this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a practitioner of this profession.
The surname Dreher was first found in Bavaria
, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal
society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The origins of the name make it likely that several branches of the family emerged independently during this early period. The first known bearer of the name was L. Dreghere, who lived in Hannover in 1348.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dreyer, Dreier, Dreigher, Dreger, Dreher, Driggs, Dreiger and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dreher research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1610, 1688, and 1789 are included under the topic Early Dreher History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dreher Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dreher Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Dreher, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Johann Dreher, who arrived in America in 1738
- David Dreher, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Maria Magdalena Dreher, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Godfrey Dreher, who landed in South Carolina in 1747
Dreher Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jakob Dreher, who arrived in Brazil in 1825
- Andrew Dreher, who arrived in Maryland in 1836
- Johann Wilh Dreher, who landed in North America in 1843
- Johannes Dreher, who arrived in North America in 1846
- Anna Elisabeth Dreher, who landed in North America in 1846
- Aristotle Dreher, American artist, songwriter, musician, and occasional actor
- Rod Dreher (b. 1967), American writer and editor
- Uwe Dreher (b. 1960), German former footballer
- Axel Dreher (b. 1972), German economist
- Michael Dreher (b. 1974), German Film director and Screenplay writer
- Claudia Dreher (b. 1971), female long-distance runner from Germany
- Christoph Dreher (b. 1952), German filmmaker, musician and scriptwriter
- Bernd Dreher (b. 1966), German former football player
- Lachlan George Dreher (b. 1967), former field hockey goalkeeper from Australia
- Anton Dreher (1810-1863), Austrian brewer
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
The Dreher Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dreher Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2015 at 13:51.
on orders of $85 or more