100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The distinguished surname Dreher is of German origin. The name is derived from the Old Germanic word "Dreier," literally meaning "a group of three," which generally referred to a local committee made up of three people which passed laws for the local townships; it is likely that the progenitor of the name was a member of such a group. Alternatively, the name may be derived from "Dreher," meaning "lathe-hand or turner"; in this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a practitioner of this profession.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dreyer, Dreier, Dreigher, Dreger, Dreher, Driggs, Dreiger and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The origins of the name make it likely that several branches of the family emerged independently during this early period. The first known bearer of the name was L. Dreghere, who lived in Hannover in 1348.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dreher research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1610, 1688, and 1789 are included under the topic Early Dreher History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dreher Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dreher Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Dreher, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Johann Dreher, who arrived in America in 1738
- David Dreher, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Maria Magdalena Dreher, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Godfrey Dreher, who landed in South Carolina in 1747
Dreher Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jakob Dreher, who arrived in Brazil in 1825
- Andrew Dreher, who arrived in Maryland in 1836
- Johann Wilh Dreher, who landed in North America in 1843
- Johannes Dreher, who arrived in North America in 1846
- Anna Elisabeth Dreher, who landed in North America in 1846
- Aristotle Dreher, American artist, songwriter, musician, and occasional actor
- Rod Dreher (b. 1967), American writer and editor
- Uwe Dreher (b. 1960), German former footballer
- Axel Dreher (b. 1972), German economist
- Michael Dreher (b. 1974), German Film director and Screenplay writer
- Claudia Dreher (b. 1971), female long-distance runner from Germany
- Christoph Dreher (b. 1952), German filmmaker, musician and scriptwriter
- Bernd Dreher (b. 1966), German former football player
- Lachlan George Dreher (b. 1967), former field hockey goalkeeper from Australia
- Anton Dreher (1810-1863), Austrian brewer
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Dreher Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dreher Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2015 at 13:51.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!