Drechsler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Drechsler is of German origin. It is derived from the Middle High German "Drehseler," meaning "turner," and was most likely initially borne by a turner or lathe worker.
Early Origins of the Drechsler family
The surname Drechsler was first found in the region of Thuringia, where this particular variation first emerged. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Herman der Drahsil, who was living in Weingarten, a town just beyond the borders of Thuringia, in 1270. The Drechsler family was an integral part of a feudal society which would shape modern European history, and played an important role in the development of German society.
Early History of the Drechsler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Drechsler research. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1320, 1367, 1414, and 1591 are included under the topic Early Drechsler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Drechsler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Drechsler, Drechsel, Drexler, Drexel, Drexell, Drachsler, Drachsel, Draxler, Draxel, Draxell, Dressler, Dressel, Trechsler, Trechsel, Trexler, Trexel, Trexell, Trachsler, Trachsel, Traxler, Traxel, Traxell and many more.
Early Notables of the Drechsler family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Drechsler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Drechsler migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Drechsler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Drechsler, who arrived in New York in 1709-1710 
- Joh Georg Drechsler, who landed in America in 1783 
- Joh George Drechsler, who arrived in America in 1783 
Drechsler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karl Ludwig Drechsler, aged 46, who landed in America in 1843 
- Wilhelm Drechsler, who landed in America in 1845 
Contemporary Notables of the name Drechsler (post 1700) +
- Dave Drechsler (b. 1960), American former National Football League guard who played in 1983 for the Green Bay Packers
- Werner Drechsler (1923-1944), German U-boat crewman during World War II
- Dr. Hanno Drechsler (1931-2003), Lord Mayor of the City of Marburg, Germany, between 1970 and 1992
- Heike Gabriela Drechsler (b. 1964), German track and field athlete
- Debbie Drechsler (b. 1953), American illustrator and comic book creator
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)