The surname Doten was first found in Devon at Dotton, which was listed as Otrit in the Domesday Book of 1086. At that time, there was land enough for 2 ploughs and comprised about 2 acres of meadow and 10 acres of pasture. It was held by Baldwin the Sheriff. The village or parish has since been lost but the family name was first referenced in the year 1240 when William de Dotton held estates there. Dotton is also listed in Somerset about the same time as a mill on the River Otter and this mill continued in operation from about 1100 through 1960 when it was demolished. Dotton, Somerset is now little more than a farm about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) from the mouth of the Otter.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Doten research. Another 111 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1286, 1455, 1487, 1539, 1599, 1655, 1620, 1626, 1643, 1627 and 1633 are included under the topic Early Doten History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Distinguished members of the family include William Dotton who was listed as a canon on 21 July 1539. Edward Doty (c. 1599-1655) was a passenger on the historic 1620 voyage of the Mayflower as a servant... Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Doten Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)