The distinguished surname Donatelli originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name, local
surnames are also found. Local
names, which are the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy, are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility. The Donatelli family lived in the city of Assisi in 1160.
Early Origins of the Donatelli family
The surname Donatelli was first found in the region of Umbria, where earliest records show that a Donato lived in the city of Assisi in 1160 and was of the Guelph faction.
Early History of the Donatelli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Donatelli research. More information is included under the topic Early Donatelli History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Donatelli Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations
. The recorded spellings of Donatelli include Donato, Donati, Dona, De Donato, De Dona, Di Donato, Donatelli, Donatello, Donatini, Donadini, Donatoni, Donadoni and many more.
Early Notables of the Donatelli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Corso Donati, involved in the Florentine government during the 13th century, who was considered to be one of the most popular and reformist politicians for 25 years. Simone Donati of Florence was an outspoken members of the Guelph faction in Florence at this time; Amerigo Donati was a soldier in Florence; Alamanno Donati, born in Florence in 1458, became a prominent poet; Clemente Donati was a publisher in Urbino during the 15th century; Tommaso... Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Donatelli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Donatelli family to the New World and Oceana
Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Donatelli or a variant listed above:
Donatelli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Almerinda Donatelli, aged 48, who landed in America from Genoa, in 1896
Donatelli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Donatelli, aged 46, who immigrated to the United States from Aseleta, in 1901
- Almesinda Donatelli, aged 46, who settled in America from Birisocchio, in 1902
- Alessandro Donatelli, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Aquila, Italy, in 1904
- Achille Donatelli, aged 14, who landed in America from Atelesa, Italy, in 1908
- Amedeo Donatelli, aged 8, who landed in America from Ateleta, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Donatelli (post 1700)
- Gary Donatelli (b. 1951), American two-time Primetime Emmy Award nominated television soap opera director
- Frank Donatelli, American Republican Party political consultant and lawyer, Chairman of GOPAC (2009 –)
- August Joseph Donatelli (1914-1990), American Major League Baseball umpire who worked from 1950 through 1973
- John Clark Donatelli (b. 1965), American former professional NHL ice hockey player from Providence, Rhode Island
- Anthony "Tony" Donatelli (b. 1984), American soccer player
- Fanny Salvini- Donatelli (1815-1891), Italian operatic soprano
- Franco Donatelli (1924-1995), Italian comic book artist and illustrator
- Eden Donatelli (b. 1970), Canadian gold, silver and bronze medalist short-track speed skater
Donatelli Family Crest Products