The Domini surname is derived from the Latin given name "Damianus," which in turn comes from the name of a Greek goddess, Damia. There was an early Christian saint named Damian, martyred in Cilicia in the year 303, under emperor Domitian. There was also a St. Damian, who lived in the 7th-8th centuries recorded as the Bishop of Pavia. These two saints, no doubt have contributed the popularity of this name.
Early Origins of the Domini family
The surname Domini was first found in Piedmont
(Italian: Piemonte, Piedmontese and Occitan: Piemont), a territorial division of northern Italy at the foot of the Alps consisting of the provinces of Alessandria, Cuneo, Novara and Turin. Saint Peter Damian "Pietro Damiani," in Italian (circa 1007-1072) was an Italian religious reformer, who was a Camaldolese monk at Fonte-Avellino (near Gubbio).
Early History of the Domini family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Domini research.Another 46 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 146 and 1460 are included under the topic Early Domini History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Domini Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Damon, Daymon, Damyon, Damond, Daumont, Damont, D'Homan, Damian, Damian, Damino, Damini, Damman and many more.
Early Notables of the Domini family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Domini Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Domini family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Domini Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Domini, who settled in America in 1768
Domini Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Katharina Domini, who arrived in America in 1847
- Anna Maria Domini, who settled in North America in 1854
- Adam Domini, who arrived in North America in 1854
- Matthias Domini, who settled in North America in 1871
Contemporary Notables of the name Domini (post 1700)
- Ronald Domini, American Democrat politician, Presidential Elector for Wisconsin, 1992
- Nazareno Domini, American politician, Industrial Candidate for Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1916
Domini Family Crest Products