Ditto History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ditto family
The surname Ditto was first found in Lancashire at Ditton, a township, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby. "The manor was held, in the reign of Edward III., by various families, of whom Thomas de Ditton performed suit and service to the county and wapentake for a fourth part." 
Early History of the Ditto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ditto research. Another 153 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1212, 1395, 1510, 1600, 1455, 1487, 1675, 1715 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Ditto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ditto Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ditton, Diton, Dytton, Dyton, Dighton and others.
Early Notables of the Ditto family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Humphry Ditton (1675-1715), an English mathematician from Salisbury, through the influence of Isaac Newton, was elected mathematical master in Christ's Hospital. He was born at Salisbury on 29 May 1675, being, it is said, the...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ditto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ditto family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Ditto (post 1700) +
- James Ditto, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1924 
- James Ditto, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Arlington, Texas, 1877-86 
- Charles J. Ditto, American Republican politician, Mayor of Petoskey, Michigan, 1914-15 
- Richard Ditto (b. 1935), American former politician, Member of the Ohio Senate (1979-1980)
- John Kane Ditto (b. 1944), American former politician, Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi (1989-1997)
- Beth Ditto (b. 1981), stage name of Mary Beth Patterson, an American singer-songwriter, most notable for her work with the indie rock band Gossip
- Brigadier-General Rollo Curtin Ditto (1886-1947), American Assistant Chief of Chemical Warfare Service (1943-1946) 
Related Stories +