100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Dingman may come from the Middle Low German surname Dinger, which was derived from the Old High German word "dinc" meaning "judicial trial or hearing." The name may also have originated with the place names Ding or Dingen.
The surname Dingman was first found in Westphalia
, a region in western Germany
which borders the Netherlands
. In Frankfurt, Mecze uff dem Dingreyne was recorded in 1347.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dingman, Dingeman, Dingermann, Dingmans, Dingemans and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dingman research. Another 198 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dingman History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dingman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dingman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Adam Dingman, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
- Adam Dingman and his family, who immigrated to New Netherland in 1653
Dingman Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Gerardus Dingman U.E., "Gerhard" (b. 1709) born in Kinderhoek, Columbia County, New York, USA from Kinderhoek, Columbia County, New York, USA who arrived at Machiche Refugee Camp, Quebec c. 1779 he died in 1780 in Machiche Refugee camp, married with 8 children
- Mr. John Dingman U.E. who settled in Westminster, Middlesex County, Ontario c. 1784
- Mr. John Dingman U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Mr. Richard Dingman U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1786
- Mr. Garret Dingman U.E. who settled in Fredericksburgh [Greater Napanee], Ontario c. 1786
Dingman Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James P. Dingman, who was recorded in the 1871 census in Ontario
- Maurice John Dingman (1914-1992), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Michael David Dingman (b. 1931), American international investor, businessman and philanthropist
- Katherine Dingman (b. 1964), American professional wrestler and valet
- Dean Dingman, former All-American offensive guard
- Craig Allen Dingman (b. 1974), American relief pitcher in Major League Baseball
- George A. Dingman, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan state highway commissioner, 1955
- Fred R. Dingman (1889-1959), American Democrat politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives, 1941-46, 1949-59; Defeated, 1946
- Chris Dingman, professional hockey player
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Tapper, Michael Ed. Immigrants to the Middle Colonies A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from The New York Genealogical Biographical Record. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Jameson, John Franklin. Narratives of New Netherland 1609-1664. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1909. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Grattan, Thomas Colley. Holdan The History of the Netherlands. Charleston, SC: Biblio Bazaar LLC, 2007. Print.
The Dingman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dingman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 April 2016 at 00:26.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!