Dilorenzo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany, including the notable surname Dilorenzo. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Tuscany, who were originally known only by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The development of Italian hereditary surnames followed general principles and were characterized by derivatives from one's given name. The patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types found in the region of Tuscany. This system of name-making was widely used because it linked well with the existing Feudal System and during the Christian era, many people named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Dilorenzo came from the given name Lorenzo, which is derived from the Latin name Laurentius. The Latin name Laurentia was given to the inhabitants of a very ancient pre-Latin city by the name of Laurentum.
Early Origins of the Dilorenzo family
The surname Dilorenzo was first found in the city of Florence.
Early History of the Dilorenzo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dilorenzo research. More information is included under the topic Early Dilorenzo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dilorenzo Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Dilorenzo include Laurènzi, Lorenzi, Lorenzo,Laurenzi, Laurèntis, Laurentis, De Lorenzo, Di Lorenzo, De Lorenzis, De Laurenzis, De Laurentis, Lorenzetti, Lorenzetto, Lorenzini, Lorenzìn, Lorenzin, Lorenzni, Lorenn, Lorenzato, Lorenzutti, Lorenzùt, Rènzi, De Renzi, De Renzis, Rènsi, Renzo, Renza, Renzetti, Renzini, Renzni, Renzulli and many more.
Early Notables of the Dilorenzo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bernardo Di Lorenzo, who became a prior in 1479; Lorenzo il Magnifico (1449-1492), a highly educated man and an ambassador to Rome and Naples. Ambrogio Lorenzetti was a Florentine painter born in 1290 who was highly influenced by the artistic style of the Byzantines. He died tragically...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dilorenzo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dilorenzo migration to the United States +
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Dilorenzo:
Dilorenzo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Aniello DiLorenzo, aged 17, who settled in America from Limatolo, Italy, in 1907
- Carmela DiLorenzo, aged 21, who landed in America from Castellammare St., Italy, in 1909
- Domenico DiLorenzo, aged 31, who immigrated to the United States from Vittorito, Italy, in 1909
- Caterina DiLorenzo, aged 9, who landed in America from Palermo, Sicily, in 1910
- Ainsa DiLorenzo, aged 30, who landed in America from Sicily, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dilorenzo (post 1700) +
- Francis Xavier DiLorenzo (1942-2017), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, Bishop of Honolulu (1994-2004) and Richmond (2004-2017)
- Joseph G. "Joe" DiLorenzo, American Massachusetts -based United States businessman and entrepreneur
- Daniel John DiLorenzo, American medical device entrepreneur and physician-scientist
- Danielle DiLorenzo (b. 1981), American medical sales professional and became part of the reality television show Survivor
- Thomas James DiLorenzo (b. 1954), American economics professor
- Jeannette DiLorenzo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1980 
Related Stories +