Dijkstra History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Dijkstra family
The surname Dijkstra was first found in early documents. It is derived from the word "dyk" which means "dyke." The word "van" which often appears in Dutch names (including most of the variations of this name) is roughly equivalent to "by" or "at," indicating that the name refers to some feature of the terrain near the first bearer's home. Therefore, the first person to bear this name lived near a dyke.
Early History of the Dijkstra family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dijkstra research. More information is included under the topic Early Dijkstra History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dijkstra Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van Dyk, Van Dijk, Van Dijck, Van Dyck, Van Dijken, Van Dyken, Dijkman, Dykman, Op en Dyke, Updike and many more.
Early Notables of the Dijkstra family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Floris van Dyck (c.1575-c.1651), a Dutch Golden Age still life painter; and Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Flemish Baroque artist who became the leading court painter in England. He was the seventh child of Frans van Dyck, a wealthy Antwerp silk merchant and learned painted from an early age. Van Dyck worked in London for some months in 1621...
Another 72 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dijkstra Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dijkstra migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dijkstra Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- A P Dijkstra, aged 43, who arrived in New York, NY in 1846 
- A S Dijkstra, aged 2, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- L A Dijkstra, aged 31, who arrived in New York, NY, in 1847 
- Lieuwe Ages Dijkstra, aged 31, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Sitske Dijkstra, aged 51, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
Contemporary Notables of the name Dijkstra (post 1700) +
- Bram Dijkstra (b. 1938), American professor of English literature and cultural historian
- Wieke Dijkstra (b. 1984), Dutch field hockey player
- Sjoukje Dijkstra (b. 1942), Dutch figure skater, three-time World champion (1962–1964), five-time European champion (1960–1964), and the six-time Dutch national champion (1959–1964)
- Sieb Dijkstra (b. 1966), Dutch former football goalkeeper
- Rineke Dijkstra (b. 1959), Dutch photographer
- Remco Dijkstra (b. 1972), Dutch politician, member of the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy
- Pia Dijkstra (b. 1954), Dutch politician and television presenter
- Meindert Dijkstra (b. 1967), Dutch footballer
- Lou Dijkstra (1909-1964), Dutch speed skater, father of Sjoukje Dijkstra
- Edsger W. Dijkstra (1930-2002), Dutch computer scientist and theoretical physicist
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)