The name Diguglielmo came from the Latin personal name
Guglielmo or Guilielmus, which is derived from the personal name William.
Early Origins of the Diguglielmo family
The surname Diguglielmo was first found in Pesaro, anciently Pisaurum, a city and seaport of the Marches and capital of the province of Pesaro and Urbino.
Early History of the Diguglielmo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Diguglielmo research.Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1229, 1655, 1710, 1698, 1573, 1624 and 1793 are included under the topic Early Diguglielmo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Diguglielmo Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations
in the name Diguglielmo include Guglielmi, Guglielmo, Di Guglielmo, Guglielmelli, Guglielmetti, Guglielmini, Guglielmino, Guglielmotti, Guglielmucci, Guglielmoni, Guglielmone, Ghielmi, Gilelmi, Gelmi, Gelmo, Gelmetti and many more.
Early Notables of the Diguglielmo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Domenico Guglielmini (1655 -1710), a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1698; Giulio-Cesare Gugliemi, a distinguished captain of the military in 1573, as well as Giacomo and Bernardino Guglielmi, both Philosophers
in Siena. Alessandro Guglielmi was a man of letters; another Alessandro Guglielmi was... Another 83 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Diguglielmo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Diguglielmo family to the New World and Oceana
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Diguglielmo or a variant listed above:
Diguglielmo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angelantonio DiGuglielmo, aged 30, who landed in America from Calitri, in 1893
- Nicola DiGuglielmo, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States from Calitri, in 1893
- Giovanni DiGuglielmo, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Pasqle. DiGuglielmo, aged 25, who landed in America from Andretta, in 1899
Diguglielmo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angela DiGuglielmo, aged 14, who emigrated to America from Andretta, in 1900
- Caterina DiGuglielmo, aged 54, who landed in America from Melfi, in 1901
- Mihaly Diguglielmo, aged 28, who landed in America from Nadabula, in 1906
- Donato DiGuglielmo, aged 38, who settled in America from Civitella, Chieti, in 1909
- Giuseppe DiGuglielmo, aged 35, who settled in America from Civitella, Chieti, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)